Thousands of workers at Medupi, where one of six units neared maximum output last week following years of delays, downed tools in March in protest over poor living conditions and demanding higher pay.
“We have 5,000 people on the ground who have been cleared who have appeared before the disciplinary committees,” Khulu Phasiwe, spokesperson for the utility, told Reuters.
“We only have about 3,000 more to go,” Phasiwe added.
Phasiwe said disciplinary hearings would be completed by the end of the month, having been delayed by a court challenge lodged by the National Union of Metalworkers (NUMSA) on Friday blocking the eviction of workers from Medupi’s living quarters.
NUMSA representatives could not be reached for comment.
Started in 2007 but plagued by labour disruptions, technical faults and cost overruns, Medupi would become South Africa’s first new power station in 20 years when fully completed by 2021, adding 4,800 MW to the stretched grid.