Registered users can save articles to their personal articles list. Login here or sign up here

Unemployment rate falls to 27.1% in Q4

Employment rose in the finance, private households, manufacturing and mining sectors.

South Africa’s unemployment rate fell to 27.1% in the fourth quarter from 27.5% in the third quarter, official data showed on Tuesday.

There were 6.1 million people without jobs in the three months to the end of December, compared with 6.2 million people in the prior quarter, Statistics South Africa said its quarterly labour force survey.

The statistics office said employment rose in the finance, private households, manufacturing and mining sectors.

The expanded definition of unemployment, which includes people who have stopped looking for work, fell to 37.0% in the fourth quarter from 37.3% in the previous quarter.

Get access to Moneyweb's financial intelligence and support quality journalism for only
R63/month or R630/year.
Sign up here, cancel at any time.

COMMENTS   1

To comment, you must be registered and logged in.

LOGIN HERE

Don't have an account?
Sign up for FREE

Wait till the electricity goes off. Then the unemployment rate will be 99%. The other 1% will be toiling away at Eskom and in Parliament.

End of comments.

LATEST CURRENCIES  

USD / ZAR
GBP / ZAR
EUR / ZAR
Insider GOLD
ONLY R63pm

Moneyweb's premium subscription is a membership service which will give you access to a number of tools to take charge of your investments.
Or choose a yearly subscription at R630pa - SAVE R126

Get instant access to all our tools and content. Monthly subscription can be suspended at any time.

Podcasts

GO TO SHOP CART

Follow us:

Search Articles:Advanced Search
Click a Company:
server: 172.17.0.2