You are currently viewing our desktop site, do you want to download our app instead?
Moneyweb Android App Moneyweb iOS App Moneyweb Mobile Web App

NEW SENS search and JSE share prices

More about the app

Arthur Kaplan and NWJ owner says lockdowns cost it R73m in sales

But stronger second-half helped limit its full-year headline loss.
Image: Supplied

Micro-cap Luxe Holdings, the owner of jewellery chains Arthur Kaplan and NWJ, says the Covid-19 hard lockdowns last year cost it an estimated R73 million in sales.

Despite the financial hit, the group’s latest results published on Monday for the financial year ended February 2021, show that a strong recovery in the second half took it from an operating loss position at half-year (August 2020) to an operating profit for the full year.

Read: Luxe’s taste for jewellery hit by Covid-19

This is for its jewellery and watch division, which now forms its core continuing operations business after the exit from its food franchise business last year.

Luxe comes out of the old Taste Holdings business, with the renaming in-line with its strategic move out of fast-food to focus on jewellery retail.

Besides its NWJ and Arthur Kaplan jewellery stores, the group owns the World’s Finest Watches retailer.

“The jewellery and watch division’s [full-year] operating profit improved by 38% to R16.9 million [2020: R12.2 million] with a strong recovery in the second half of the year on the back of pent-up demand seeing second half profit improve to R22.6 million from an operating loss of R5.7 million at half year,” Luxe says in its full-year results media statement.

“The second half of the year was significantly better than the first, when stores were closed from the March 26, 2020 to May 31, 2020 during the level 5 lockdown, resulting in an estimated R73 million in lost sales,” it points out.

“Sales performance post-lockdown was more resilient than expected, exceeding expectations,” the group adds, noting that online sales growth surged 236% overall, while it grew by 174% on a like-for-like store basis.

While the growth in online sales is noteworthy and in-line with the boom in online retail generally, this growth comes off a low base and still only represents around 5% of the group’s overall sales.

“Our growing online business, the breadth of our product offering and the fact that community and neighbourhood store locations have outperformed major regional shopping nodes helped mitigate the effects of the pandemic on trade,” comments Luxe group CEO, Duncan Crosson.

He says that prudent management of costs and working capital, specifically inventory and creditors, helped to generate cash from continuing operations of R8.3 million and improve the positive cash position from continuing operations to R19.7 million (2020: R13.0 million).

However, Crosson made no mention of the group’s discontinued operations, including the closure of its Domino’s pizza stores in South Africa, despite this taking place during the financial year.

The group decided to cut its losses and exit the food business in late 2019, but the actual closures of Domino’s outlets happened just after Covid-19 hit last year.

Read:

Domino’s fall for Taste (March 2020)
Taste loses its appetite, will exit Starbucks and Domino’s (Nov 2019)

Taste Holdings sells Starbucks stores (Nov 2019)

While Luxe also did not make any close-out mention of the discontinued food business in its short-form results announcement on the JSE Sens either, it did note the narrowing of its loss for the financial year.

The group posted a headline loss per share of 80.3 cents, which it says is “an improvement from the headline loss per share of 941.9 cents in the prior corresponding year”.

This was when the fast-food and Starbucks franchise businesses (at the time) in South Africa, represented its core business.

Luxe points out in its Sens that its headline loss per share from continuing operations came to 60.2 cents for the financial year ended February 2021.

This was “in line with the prior year [loss] of 60.4 cents, despite the tough trading environment given the impact of the pandemic”.

The loss meant that no full-year dividend was declared by the group.

“Shareholders are reminded that historic per share metrics are adjusted to reflect the consolidation of the share capital of the company on July 8, 2020 [every one hundred ordinary shares were consolidated into one ordinary share],” Luxe explains in its Sens.

The group’s latest results came out just before the market closed on Monday.

Luxe’s share price fell over 13%, to 91 cents per share by 1.25pm on Tuesday as the market digested the results.

This gives it a market cap of just around R23 million.

Its biggest shareholder currently is US-based Protea Asset Management LLC, together with JSE-listed investment holdings firm Conduit Capital. Other major shareholders include UBS Switzerland, the Aaron Beare Foundation and PSG Konsult.

Please consider contributing as little as R20 in appreciation of our quality independent financial journalism.

AUTHOR PROFILE

COMMENTS   3

Sort by:
  • Oldest first
  • Newest first
  • Top voted

You must be signed in to comment.

SIGN IN SIGN UP

The “war against the virus” seems to be fizzling out. The frontal attack on freedom that was launched by the central planning lunatics who banned underpants and socks, alcohol sales and cigarettes, walks on the beach and surfing, were defeated by the stronger force of individualism and freedom of choice.

Patel is licking his wounds. The minister of health is suffering mental health problems of his own with all the allegations of corruption around him. The Coronavirus Central Command Council is the most hated club of privileged central planners in the country. They did not solve any problems, but they created many. Rising unemployment, a ballooning Debt/GDP ratio, increasing hunger, and the ticking timebomb of public disobedience. The war against covid was nothing more than an opportunity to loot for the ANC cadres. Shame on them! Clearly, black lives do not matter to the ANC, only green money does.

They fired the heavy artillery of many levels of lockdown measures that only destroyed economic infrastructure, but did not save any lives. The third wave is coming, but suddenly there is no need to wear your underpants over your trousers anymore, or to buy crates of pineapples, or purchase cigarettes from drug dealers. We are even free to walk on the beach without being harassed by Tonto, the minister of police.

“Lives matter more than the economy” – was a popular phrase, until you lose your salary. Then, coronavirus is a non-event, a handy diversion for populist politicians and other interfering losers.

Everybody has lost something under Covid …..income, jobs, mental health and even loved ones. Covid has not picked and chosen who to affect and infect….but there are those in our government who have chosen the opportunity of Covid to extort, manipulate and steal from its citizens which is reprehensible and for which, they should be punished.

Taste’s sale of the Starbucks stores and rights for SA for a few gold coins stinks of dodginess.

End of comments.

LATEST CURRENCIES  

USD / ZAR
GBP / ZAR
EUR / ZAR
BTC / USD

Podcasts

INSIDER SUBSCRIPTIONS APP VIDEOS RADIO / LISTEN LIVE SHOP OFFERS WEBINARS NEWSLETTERS TRENDING PORTFOLIO TOOL CPD HUB

Follow us:

Search Articles:
Click a Company: