You are currently viewing our desktop site, do you want to download our app instead?
Moneyweb Android App Moneyweb iOS App Moneyweb Mobile Web App

NEW SENS search and JSE share prices

More about the app

OM in talks for Zambian power plant stake

Old Mutual’s carrying out it’s own due diligence.”
Zambia’s Copperbelt Energy is in talks with Old Mutual Plc, Africa’s largest insurer, to sell it a stake in a $220 million hydropower project in the country’s northwest.
 
“We are speaking to them and they seem to be very interested,” Hanson Sindowe, chairman of the power supplier, said in an interview on Tuesday in Lusaka, the capital of Africa’s second-largest copper producer. “They are carrying out their own due diligence.”

Copperbelt Energy, the biggest power supplier to Zambia’s mines, plans on completing financing for the Kabompo Gorge hydro-power project by the end of the year, Humphrey Mulela, who heads the unit overseeing its development, said in a separate interview. The 40-megawatt plant will help ease a power deficit that could disrupt mining operations this year, Sindowe said.

Copperbelt Energy, or CEC as it’s also known, plans to sell a 40 percent stake in Kabompo Gorge, and to fund the remaining 60 percent through debt, according to Mulela. The company has hired Standard Bank Group to arrange the debt. Copperbelt has also been talking to other potential investors on the equity stake, he said.

“There are a number of them and one of the main ones is Old Mutual,” said Mulela. “They’ve been proposing to look for other companies to come on board so that they share the risk.”

William Baldwin-Charles, a London-based spokesman for Old Mutual, didn’t immediately reply to an e-mail seeking comment.

CEC intends to complete Kabompo Gorge in 2018, Sindowe said in a speech earlier Tuesday, when the company signed an investment agreement for the project with the Zambian government.

©2015 Bloomberg News

 

VIDEOS

COMMENTS   0

You must be signed in and an Insider Gold subscriber to comment.

SUBSCRIBE NOW SIGN IN

LATEST CURRENCIES  

USD / ZAR
GBP / ZAR
EUR / ZAR
BTC / USD

Podcasts

INSIDER SUBSCRIPTION APP VIDEOS RADIO / LISTEN LIVE SHOP OFFERS WEBINARS NEWSLETTERS TRENDING

Follow us:

Search Articles:
Click a Company: