You are currently viewing our desktop site, do you want to visit our Mobile web app instead?

Who’s doing what in the M&A space?

De Beers, Sygnia, Old Mutual, Naspers, Capitec Bank and others.

JSE-listed companies

  • Anglo American subsidiary De Beers has acquired the remaining 50% stake in De Beers Diamond Jewellers from LVMH for an undisclosed amount. 
  • Sygnia has acquired from Deutsche Group SA all the issued shares in db X-trackers (RF) for R325 million in cash. 
  • Old Mutual plc has sold a 25% stake in its US fund management arm to China’s HNA for $446 million (R5.5 billion). 
  • Naspers has sold its stake in Souq.com to Amazon.com for an undisclosed amount. 
  • Capitec Bank has acquired a 40% stake in international online lending group Cream Finance for €21 million (R281.4 million). The amount will be paid in three tranches at nine month intervals and the company has an option to increase its stake by a further 9%. 
  • CSG has acquired Revert Risk Management Solutions for R100 million. 
  • Sirius Real Estate has sold its business park in Wiesenstrasse, Dusseldorf to a German institutional fund for €11 million (R147.4 million). 
  • Erin Energy has entered into a farm-out agreement with ASX-listed oil and gas company FAR. The Australian company will acquire an 80% stake and operatorship of Erin’s offshore A2 and A5 blocks in The Gambia. FAR will pay $5.18 million (R64.75 million) and will carry $8 million (R100 million) of the company’s share of costs in planned exploration. 
  • Jasco Electronics has acquired a 65.4% stake in Cross Fire from JH Cross and Cross Fire Management for R52,3 million. The deal will ensure the Jasco Fire Solutions offering becomes one of the top three in the local corporate market. 

Unlisted companies

  • African Rainbow Capital (ARC) has taken a 20% stake in A2X, a start-up looking to compete directly with the JSE. ARC has the option to increase its holding to 25% once A2X has secured its exchange licence. 
  • Wirecard AG has acquired all the shares of MyGate Communications, a payment service provider in Africa, for a purchase consideration of €23.1 million (R323.4 million). 
  • Heineken has acquired South African craft brewer Stellenbrau for an undisclosed sum. 

… and in Africa 

  • Assala Energy, a portfolio company of Carlyle Group, is to acquire Shell’s onshore assets in Gabon for $587 million. Assala will assume liabilities including a $285 million loan. 
  • Danone, the French multinational food-products corporation, has acquired the remaining 60% stake in Tanzanian company Brookside Dairy from Dubai-based Brookside Holdings for an undisclosed sum. 
  • Endeavour Mining, the Canadian gold miner, has bought back from Cote d’Ivoire state-owned mining company Sodemi, a 25% stake in the Ity gold mine. 
  • Eni, through its subsidiary Eni Cote d’Ivoire, has obtained a majority stake (90%) in two new exploration blocks off the shore of the Ivory Coast. The remaining 10% is held by state-owned company Petroci. 
  • Imara Trust, subsidiary of Imara Holdings, has bought out Mauritius-based management company FiducieForte Management Services, increasing the size of its business in excess of 30%. The terms of the deal were undisclosed. 
  • Hygeia Nigeria has acquired Gold Cross Hospital, a 35 bedded multidisciplinary, tertiary care hospital situated in Lagos. The acquisition also includes Gold Cross MRI Diagnostics, a fully operational diagnostic centre with MRI, CT Scan and other diagnostic facilities. 
  • CDC, UK’s development finance institution and AgDevCo, a social impact investor targeting sub-Saharan Africa, have invested $11.5 million in Malawian farming operations Jacoma Estates Group. The investment will assist in expanding its operations at its Tropha Estates in northern Malawi. 
  • Mara Social Media, an Africa multi-channel platform of online and mobile tech innovations, has acquired global platform Nimbuzz Assets for an undisclosed sum. 
  • Healthcare Global Enterprises, through its subsidiary HealthCare Global (Kenya), has acquired a stake in Cancer Care Kenya for KShs 93.1 million. 

DealMakers is SA’s M&A publication.

Get access to Moneyweb's financial intelligence and support quality journalism for only
R63/month or R630/year.
Sign up here, cancel at any time.

COMMENTS   0

You must be signed in to comment.

SIGN IN SIGN UP

LATEST CURRENCIES  

USD / ZAR
GBP / ZAR
EUR / ZAR

Podcasts

NEWSLETTERS WEB APP SHOP PORTFOLIO TOOL TRENDING CPD HUB

Follow us:

Search Articles:Advanced Search
Click a Company: