- Anheuser-Busch InBev has received a binding offer from Asahi Group for the acquisition of SABMiller’s European premium brands. The offer of €2.55 billion includes the Peroni, Grolsch and Meantime brand families and associated businesses in Italy, the Netherlands and the UK.
- Hyprop Investments, through its offshore joint venture company Hystead, has acquired an interest in two shopping malls situated in SE Europe. Hyprop owns a 60% stake in the joint venture which has acquired Delta City Belgrade in Serbia and Delta City Podgorica in Montenegro. Hyprop’s effective share of the purchase price is €121.65 million.
- Atlantic Leaf Properties has acquired a portfolio of six UK-based property assets for a consideration of £107.8 million. As part payment, the company has successfully raised £49.6 million of new equity capital pursuant to a private placement of 44 227 648 Atlantic Leaf shares.
- Stellar Capital Partners has announced the acquisition of the remaining 6.68% stake in Tellumat from Tellumat Employee Share Trust for R12.95 million.
- Old Mutual has announced it is to sell Rogge Global Partners to Allianz Global Investors. Rogge, is a fixed income asset management business based in London with funds under management of £24.1 billion.
- Illovo Sugar has received an offer from majority shareholder Associated British Foods for the rest of the company at R20 per share. London-based ABF currently has a 51% stake.
- Finbond has entered into a number of agreements which will see it expand its short-term lending business into the North American payday lending market. The companies acquired are: American Cash Advance ($8 million), Cash Shop (C$6.5 million), Cash in a Flash ($1.2 million) and a 50% stake in Cashback ($8 million).
- Growthpoint has made an offer to acquire the remaining 1% Sycom units not already held by the company. In terms of the scheme shares will be exchanged in the ratio of 114.26 Growthpoint shares for every 100 Sycom units held.
- Deloitte (Africa) has acquired the business of ConVista Consulting, the South African subsidiary of the German consulting firm ConVista AG. The company will trade as Solutions for Insurance or S4i.
… and in the rest of Africa
- Orange has announced the acquisition of Millicom’s operations in the DRC. The acquisition of Tigo DRC for $160 million reinforces Orange’s presence in the DRC and underlines its strategy in Africa which aims at developing and maintaining leading competitive positions across its various countries of operations.
- ASX-listed Black Mountain Resources has announced its intention to acquire Namekara Mining, which holds a vermiculite mine and a phosphate project in Uganda. In terms of the agreement Black Mountain will issue 400 million shares plus a 1% royalty on revenue from mineral production to African Phosphate.
- Indian company Strides Shasun has announced the acquisition of a 51% stake in Universal (Kenya) for a maximum consideration of $11 million. Universal is a Nairobi-based pharmaceutical company.
- Interswitch has acquired Vanso, a company providing financial technology, to banks in particular, for N$15 billion.
(DealMakers is SA’s M&A magazine. www.dealmakers.co.za.)