Merely a few moments after the Johannesburg High Court ruled that SA Express be placed under business rescue on Thursday, the airline said it will appeal the judgement.
The application was brought by transport company Zeigler in January, saying the company is technically insolvent. Zeigler is a former service provider of SA Express and is owed R11 million by the airline.
In September last year, the embattled airline received a R300 million lifeline from Treasury to assist with operational expenses. This came after the entity was provided with a R1.2 billion government bailout in the 2019 budget.
In a statement, SA Express Spokesperson Mpho Majatladi said the company has instructed its lawyers to file for leave to appeal.
“Considering the content of the judgment, it is clear that the court went over and above what was required and granted orders not sought by the applicant. The court has also not made any order on whether the matter was urgent or not, in circumstances when the urgency was specifically opposed.”