The Covid-19 Temporary Employer/Employee Relief Scheme (Ters) has been extended until mid-August, mainly for sectors which have not yet reopened.
The announcement was made on Tuesday during the tabling of the Department of Employment and Labour’s budget vote by its Deputy Minister Boitumelo Moloi. She said this is in alignment with President Cyril Ramaphosa’s decision to extend the national state of disaster to the middle of next month.
“Following due diligence and consultation with the Unemployment Insurance Fund (UIF) actuaries, and in line with the president’s decision to extend the life of the [national state of disaster in terms of the] Disaster Management Act until August 15, we have taken the decision to similarly extend the Covid-19 Ters benefit until August 15, 2020.”
The benefit was previously granted for only April, May and June. The department says the extension comes into effect with no change to the structure and existing criteria used in the last three months.
Details regarding applications for July and part of August will be announced in due course as the department is still consulting with its social partners at the National Economic Development and Labour Council (Nedlac).
Listen to Nompu Siziba’s interview with Sandile July, director and labour law specialist at Werksmans: